Difference between revisions of "Winschoten (Groningen, Netherlands)"
(CSV import - 20130816)
Revision as of 19:55, 16 August 2013
Winschoten, a town in the Dutch province of Groningen. From 1872 regular Mennonite services were held here every three weeks in the Lutheran church. In 1885 a Mennonite Kring was organized here as a subdivision of the Midwolda, Beerta, and de Meedencongregation. In 1893 J. A. Wartena, the pastor of this congregation, moved to Winschoten, which gradually became its center, and since 1900 the old Midwolda congregation is called Winschoten. The pastors after Wartena, who served 1893-1901, were F. Dijkema 1901-1905, J. H. van Giessen Jr 1906-1921, then after nine years of vacancy Corn. Vis Jzn 1930-1938, A. du Croix 1939-1944, R. J. Faber 1946-1951, and J. H. Rawie 1953- . In 1931 a meetinghouse was built in Winschoten. The membership numbered 120 in 1900 and 97 in 1958. Church activities at that time were a ladies' circle, youth group (15-18), and Sunday school for children.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1872): 192; (1887): 148.
De Zondagsbode 23 (1909-10): No. 24.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Winschoten (Groningen, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 Jun 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winschoten_(Groningen,_Netherlands)&oldid=69274.
van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Winschoten (Groningen, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 June 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winschoten_(Groningen,_Netherlands)&oldid=69274.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1137. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.