The Winkler Bergthaler Mennonite congregation in Winkler, Manitoba began services in 1895. The first building was occupied in 1895, with subsequent building programs in 1947 and 1970. Jacob M. Wiens is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from Russia.
Winkler is the largest Bergthaler center; this congregation replaced the first Bergthaler church at Hoffnungsfeld.
Brown, Frank. A History of the Town of Winkler, Manitoba. 1973: 165-175.
Canadian Mennonite (3 July 1970): 3.
Elias, Ron. "History of the Winkler Bergthaler Mennonite Church." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1979, 13 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Friesen, David. Journey of Faith: Winkler Bergthaler Mennonite Church, 1895-1995. Winkler, MB, 1995.
Gerbrandt, H. J. Adventure in Faith. Altona, MB: Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba, 1970, 379 pp.
Klassen, John P. "Growth Study of the Winkler Bergthaler Church." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1980, 79 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Mennonite Reporter (4 September 1972): 10, (8 July 1996): 10.
Archival RecordsChurch records at Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Address: Box 1207, Winkler, MB R6W 4B2
Location: 252 6th Street, Winkler, MB
Church website: Winkler Bergthaler
Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1903-present)
General Conference Mennonite Church (1974-1999)
Winkler Bergthaler Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||February 1989|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Winkler Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Winkler, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 1989. Web. 30 Mar 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winkler_Bergthaler_Mennonite_Church_(Winkler,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=78852.
Epp, Marlene. (February 1989). Winkler Bergthaler Mennonite Church (Winkler, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 March 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winkler_Bergthaler_Mennonite_Church_(Winkler,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=78852.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.