Three subsidiary groups have been formed from Willow Springs: Ohio Station in the north central part of the county 1840-1915, which never developed into a congregation; Sheffield in the western part of the county 1943-1950; and the Tiskilwa Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), which was formed in 1911 when a group withdrew to join the Central Illinois Mennonite Conference.
The first minister in the Hennepin community was Jacob Burkey of Hesse, Germany, who never lived in the Tiskilwa neighborhood. The Willow Springs congregation suffered for many years from inadequate and even absentee ministerial leadership and was not established on a sound basis until 1868, when Joseph Burkey, a minister at Tremont, Illinois, moved in and was ordained bishop a year later. His successor was C. A. Hartzler, a minister from Garden City, Missouri, who came in 1913 and was ordained bishop a year later. C. W. Long was pastor in 1957, with a membership of 142.
Weber, H. F. Centennial History of the Mennonites of Illinois. Goshen, IN.: The Mennonite Historical Society, 1931: 222-36.
 Additional Information
Address: 16621 Kentville Road, Tiskilwa, IL 61368.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
 Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Willow Springs Mennonite Church (Tiskilwa, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Willow_Springs_Mennonite_Church_(Tiskilwa,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=96876.
Bender, Harold S. (1959). Willow Springs Mennonite Church (Tiskilwa, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Willow_Springs_Mennonite_Church_(Tiskilwa,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=96876.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.