White Cloud Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church, located one mile southeast of White Cloud, Michigan, is in the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. Mennonite families from the Shore congregation in Lagrange County, Indiana, began moving into the area in 1896. Regular Sunday-school services were started in a schoolhouse in 1898 and the next year Bishop P. Y. Lehman of Indiana organized a congregation of 22 charter members. In 1900, when the congregation had grown to 35 members, Bishop John F. Funk ordained Jacob P. Miller (1850-1927) to the ministry. On 1 May 1901, P. Y. Lehman ordained him as bishop. In 1903 the congregation began to worship in a building known as the Union Church, and for a time was known by this name. After 1910 J. P. Miller was no longer located at White Cloud, and T. U, Nelson (1870-1950) became the long-time preacher, having been ordained by Miller on 5 December 1910. The pastor of the church in 1958 was Edward D. Jones, and the membership was 54.
Address: 1506 S Walnut Avenue, White Cloud, MI; Phone: 231-689-0928.
Beechy, Winifred Nelson. "History of the White Cloud Mennonite Church." Mennonite Historical Bulletin (July 1952): 1-4.
|Author(s)||John C Wenger|
 Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. "White Cloud Mennonite Church (White Cloud, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 31 Jan 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=White_Cloud_Mennonite_Church_(White_Cloud,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=85993.
Wenger, John C. (1959). White Cloud Mennonite Church (White Cloud, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 31 January 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=White_Cloud_Mennonite_Church_(White_Cloud,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=85993.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.