From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
m (Text replace - "Ohio (State)" to "Ohio (USA)")
 
Line 1: Line 1:
West Clinton Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), located two miles (three km) southeast of Pettisville, [[Fulton County (Ohio, USA)|Fulton County]], [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], began as an outgrowth of the [[Central Mennonite Church (Archbold, Ohio, USA)|Central Mennonite]] congregation, and until 1943 operated with Central and [[Lockport Mennonite Church (Stryker, Ohio, USA)|Lockport]] as one congregation under a common ministry with circuit preaching. The meetinghouse was enlarged in 1935, and seats about 500. The congregation was separately organized in 1943 under the leadership of Edward B. Frey, who was ordained minister in 1925 and bishop in 1933.
+
West Clinton Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), located two miles (three km) southeast of Pettisville, [[Fulton County (Ohio, USA)|Fulton County]], [[Ohio (USA)|Ohio]], began as an outgrowth of the [[Central Mennonite Church (Archbold, Ohio, USA)|Central Mennonite]] congregation, and until 1943 operated with Central and [[Lockport Mennonite Church (Stryker, Ohio, USA)|Lockport]] as one congregation under a common ministry with circuit preaching. The meetinghouse was enlarged in 1935, and seats about 500. The congregation was separately organized in 1943 under the leadership of Edward B. Frey, who was ordained minister in 1925 and bishop in 1933.
  
 
On 22 October 1944, D. L. Sommers, who moved in from [[Oklahoma (USA)|Oklahoma]], was installed as minister. The congregation opened the Holland Mission in 1945 and also supported the missions at Bancroft, Toledo, and Cloverdale, Ohio. In 1947 Olen Nofziger was ordained minister, and in 1950 Raymond Richer was ordained minister with special charge at Holland. The congregation has three foreign missionaries, Vesta (Nafziger) Miller in [[India|India]] and Carl Beck and Ruth (Frey) Shenk in [[Japan|Japan]]. In 1956 the congregation built the North Clinton meetinghouse, where about one third of the members began to meet for services in January 1957. Later in the year Olen Nofziger was made minister in charge. In 1958 William Nofziger was ordained as minister at West Clinton. The membership in 1957 was 440; the ministers were Edward B. Frey, bishop, and D. L. Sommers and Olen Nofziger.
 
On 22 October 1944, D. L. Sommers, who moved in from [[Oklahoma (USA)|Oklahoma]], was installed as minister. The congregation opened the Holland Mission in 1945 and also supported the missions at Bancroft, Toledo, and Cloverdale, Ohio. In 1947 Olen Nofziger was ordained minister, and in 1950 Raymond Richer was ordained minister with special charge at Holland. The congregation has three foreign missionaries, Vesta (Nafziger) Miller in [[India|India]] and Carl Beck and Ruth (Frey) Shenk in [[Japan|Japan]]. In 1956 the congregation built the North Clinton meetinghouse, where about one third of the members began to meet for services in January 1957. Later in the year Olen Nofziger was made minister in charge. In 1958 William Nofziger was ordained as minister at West Clinton. The membership in 1957 was 440; the ministers were Edward B. Frey, bishop, and D. L. Sommers and Olen Nofziger.

Latest revision as of 03:37, 20 February 2014

West Clinton Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located two miles (three km) southeast of Pettisville, Fulton County, Ohio, began as an outgrowth of the Central Mennonite congregation, and until 1943 operated with Central and Lockport as one congregation under a common ministry with circuit preaching. The meetinghouse was enlarged in 1935, and seats about 500. The congregation was separately organized in 1943 under the leadership of Edward B. Frey, who was ordained minister in 1925 and bishop in 1933.

On 22 October 1944, D. L. Sommers, who moved in from Oklahoma, was installed as minister. The congregation opened the Holland Mission in 1945 and also supported the missions at Bancroft, Toledo, and Cloverdale, Ohio. In 1947 Olen Nofziger was ordained minister, and in 1950 Raymond Richer was ordained minister with special charge at Holland. The congregation has three foreign missionaries, Vesta (Nafziger) Miller in India and Carl Beck and Ruth (Frey) Shenk in Japan. In 1956 the congregation built the North Clinton meetinghouse, where about one third of the members began to meet for services in January 1957. Later in the year Olen Nofziger was made minister in charge. In 1958 William Nofziger was ordained as minister at West Clinton. The membership in 1957 was 440; the ministers were Edward B. Frey, bishop, and D. L. Sommers and Olen Nofziger.

Address: 18029 County Road C, Wauseon, OH 43567; Phone: 419-445-1195 or 419-445-1196.

[edit] Additional Information

Church web site: http://www.westclinton.org/


Author(s) Edward B Frey
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Frey, Edward B. "West Clinton Mennonite Church (Wauseon, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=West_Clinton_Mennonite_Church_(Wauseon,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113618.

APA style

Frey, Edward B. (1959). West Clinton Mennonite Church (Wauseon, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=West_Clinton_Mennonite_Church_(Wauseon,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113618.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 919. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.