From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Welty and Sprunger, a bookstore and later a publishing agency, at Berne, Indiana, the forerunner of the Mennonite Book Concern, was organized as a partnership in 1884, named for the brothers Joel and Daniel Welty, and S. F. Sprunger, the pastor of the Berne Mennonite Church. The Welty brothers had opened the bookstore on 9 May 1882, with chief emphasis on religious books. In the fall of 1884 the General Conference (General Conference Mennonite Church) established a conference publication agency, called the "Christliche Central-Buchhandlung der Allgemeinen Conferenz der Mennoniten." It used several bookstores as outlets, among them the firm of Welty and Sprunger, and the firm name continued to appear on the title page of some publications immediately following the conference publishing agency name. In 1893 the name was changed to Mennonite Book Concern and Welty and Sprunger disappeared. Joel Welty was the manager from 1884 on. In the fall of 1884 Welty and Sprunger loaned the conference $1,000 for three years as a capital fund with which to establish the conference publishing agency. In 1889 Welty and Sprunger appeared without the conference publishing agency as the publishers of the Sonntagschul-Lektionen.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Welty and Sprunger (Berne, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 14 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Welty_and_Sprunger_(Berne,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=78741.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1959). Welty and Sprunger (Berne, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 14 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Welty_and_Sprunger_(Berne,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=78741.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 916. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.