From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:04, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Welsh Mountain Samaritan Home, located near New Holland, Pennsylvania, and sponsored by the Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (Mennonite Church), is the successor of the Welsh Mountain Industrial Mission, which was converted into an old people's home and the name changed in 1924. The first guests were received soon afterward. Benjamin Buckwalter and wife of Newton, Kansas, were assigned as the first superintendent and matron in charge. Extensions to the building were built in 1929 and again in 1940. The guest capacity was 32, with a staff of about 10. The location was healthful and many found this a pleasant retreat to spend their closing days. Jesse Yoder and wife of Belleville, Pennsylvania, were the superintendent and matron in the late 1950s.

Bibliography

Dietzel, Angela. Welsh Mountain Home. Accessed 4 October 2007 <http://www.mcusa-archives.org/jhorsch/jhorsch2004/dietzel_essay.htm>.


Author(s) Ira J Buckwalter
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Buckwalter, Ira J. "Welsh Mountain Samaritan Home (New Holland, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Welsh_Mountain_Samaritan_Home_(New_Holland,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=78738.

APA style

Buckwalter, Ira J. (1959). Welsh Mountain Samaritan Home (New Holland, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Welsh_Mountain_Samaritan_Home_(New_Holland,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=78738.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 915. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.