Weekly Echo, edited and published by D. G. Gehman, Bally, Pennsylvania, was an 8-column, 4-page newspaper, 22 x 15.5 inches, with the stated purpose of supplementing the Herald of Truth by reporting news of particular interest to every Mennonite family and more particularly to Mennonites in eastern Pennsylvania and Washington County, Maryland. The first issue appeared 24 April 1902. Publication ceased with the ninth issue, 19 June 1902, the paper having failed to receive the expected support and encouragement from "the Mennonite people at large." In addition to purely personal items from Mennonite communities in eastern Pennsylvania, it contained inspirational articles, home and farm features, a weekly discussion of the Sunday-school lesson by D. M. Stearns, articles on Mennonite history, and a few advertisements. The last five issues included the "Calendar of Meetings at all the Mennonite Congregations in Eastern Pennsylvania" for the following Sunday. The Goshen College Library has issues 5, 6, 8, and 9.
|Author(s)||Nelson P Springer|
Cite This Article
Springer, Nelson P. "Weekly Echo (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 29 Apr 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Weekly_Echo_(Periodical)&oldid=78710.
Springer, Nelson P. (1959). Weekly Echo (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 April 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Weekly_Echo_(Periodical)&oldid=78710.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.