In 1924, when he was silenced for his unwillingness to censure church members at variance with the Conference, nearly half of the First Mennonite congregation joined to form Stirling Avenue Mennonite Church, with U. K. as pastor. Stirling's structure placed him in the role of professional pastor, a novel position for an Ontario Mennonite leader at the time. Stirling instituted a church council, annual meetings with congregational voting, and a modest pastor's salary. At U. K.'s insistence, the role of pastor and church council chair were separated. He was adamant that decision-making should rest with the congregation as a whole. He was active in the local interdenominational community, exemplified by his service as the first vice-chair of the House of Friendship (1939).
Due to Stirling’s independence, leadership succession proved difficult. U. K. resigned in 1941 when it appeared that a replacement could be found. The congregation gave him the title Pastor Emeritus. After his retirement, U. K. continued to preach occasionally. He died in Kitchener on 13 December 1971 and was buried at the Woodland cemetery.
U. K. Weber led two Mennonite congregations during difficult times. Fully aware that he was a controversial figure in Ontario Mennonite circles, he nonetheless articulated his beliefs with passion and conviction. Congregants recall him as an "old time Gospel preacher," an energetic and good-humored man with a love of sports and a keen interest in world affairs.
Good, Reginald E. From Frontier Community to Urban Congregation: First Mennonite Church, Kitchener, 1813-1988. Kitchener, ON: [the Church], 1988.
Cite This Article
Harder, Laureen. "Weber, Urias K. (1879-1971)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2006. Web. 25 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Weber,_Urias_K._(1879-1971)&oldid=120801.
Harder, Laureen. (2006). Weber, Urias K. (1879-1971). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Weber,_Urias_K._(1879-1971)&oldid=120801.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.