The Waters Mennonite congregation at Lively, ON began services in 1948, and formally organized in 1959. The first building was occupied in 1955 with a subsequent building program in 1963. Thomas Martin and Mahlon Bast are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation originated through outreach by the Ontario Mennonite Mission Board and individuals.
Originally the church was sponsored by the Mennonite Conference of Ontario (Mennonite Church) but later came under the administration of the United Mennonites (General Conference Mennonite Church). The original membership came from six different church groups.
Canadian Mennonite (21 March 1958): 3; (18 April 1958): 3; (22 May 1959): 1; (31 May 1963): 1.
Mennonite Reporter (18 September 1989): B3.
Article in Sudbury Star re: church dedication in 1963.
Salo, Karen. "Waters Mennonite Church." 1976, 59 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre
Unpublished congregational history, 1978, 24 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Records at the church.
Address: 540 Regional Rd 55, Lively On. P3Y 1C4. The church is located sixteen km west of Sudbury on Regional Rd. 55.
Phone: (705) 692-7655
Website: Waters Mennonite Church
Denominational Affiliations: Conference of United Mennonite Churches in Ontario (1959-1988)
General Conference Mennonite Church (1959-1999)
Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-Present).
Waters Mennonite Church Pastors
|Henry Schroeder (Informal)||1955-1957|
Waters Mennonite Church Members
|Date Published||January 1989|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Waters Mennonite Church (Lively, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 3 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Waters_Mennonite_Church_(Lively,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=105504.
Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Waters Mennonite Church (Lively, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Waters_Mennonite_Church_(Lively,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=105504.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.