Revision as of 08:42, 26 November 2013 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Walnut Creek Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), a member of the Ohio and Eastern Mennonite Conference, is located less than a mile southeast of Walnut Creek, Holmes County, Ohio. The first settlers were Jonas Stutzman and four young Amish couples from Somerset, Pennsylvania, in 1809-1810. Church services were held in the homes, and by 1850 there were four Amish church districts in this spreading settlement. One of these suffered a division, and the liberal segment led by Bishop "Gross" Moses J. Miller became the nucleus of the Walnut Creek Amish Mennonite Church. In 1862 the first meeting house was built, replaced in 1896 by the present building, which was enlarged in 1908 and 1950. The membership in 1957 was 598. Paul R. Miller, a great-great-grandson of the founder, was the bishop and pastor in the late 1950s.


Glick, Nettie. Historical Sketch of the Walnutcreek A.M. Church. Scottdale, 1933.

Author(s) Paul R Miller
Date Published 1959

Cite This Article

MLA style

Miller, Paul R. "Walnut Creek Mennonite Church (Sugarcreek, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 27 Nov 2015.,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=104315.

APA style

Miller, Paul R. (1959). Walnut Creek Mennonite Church (Sugarcreek, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 November 2015, from,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=104315.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 880. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.

©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.