The Wallace Mennonite congregation near Palmerston, ON began services in 1864, and formally organized in 1869. The first building was occupied in 1871. Isaac Weber is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization from Waterloo County. The congregation was evenly divided over the Mennonite Brethren in Christ division, with the Mennonite Brethren in Christ group obtaining the church property. The remaining Mennonite Conference of Ontario group worshipped for a time in homes but eventually built another church, though the date is uncertain. The membership dwindled and the building was sold in 1902. The proceeds went to First Mennonite Church (Kitchener) for their own building project.
The church was located on Perth Line 88, 13 km northwest of Listowel. The congregation dissolved in 1902. It had been affiliated with the Mennonite Conference of Ontario from 1864-1902. The language of worship was German.
Burkholder, L. J. A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario. Kitchener, ON: Mennonite Conference of Ontario, 1935: 127-128.
|Author(s)||Joseph C. Fretz|
|Date Published||January 1989|
 Cite This Article
Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. "Wallace Mennonite Church (Palmerston, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 10 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wallace_Mennonite_Church_(Palmerston,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=78566.
Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. (January 1989). Wallace Mennonite Church (Palmerston, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wallace_Mennonite_Church_(Palmerston,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=78566.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.