Waldo Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located four miles south of Flanagan, Illinois, a member of the Illinois Mennonite Conference, dates back to 1855, when the first settlers, who were all Amish, came from France and Germany. In 1860-67 the ministers were Christian Slagell, J. P. Smith, Jacob Rediger, and an Oyer, who held services in homes of members. Daniel Steinmann (ordained preacher in 1867) was bishop 1886-1908, and J. D. Hartzler (ordained preacher in 1920) was bishop 1927-59. In 1867 a meetinghouse was built, replaced in 1906 by a new building, which was destroyed by fire in 1933; the present building, still on the original site, was erected in the same year, seating capacity 300.
The first Sunday school was started in 1868. Church services and Sunday school were held on alternate Sundays until 1875, when they were joined into one service. The Waldo church was one of the first in the state to take this step. In 1957 the membership was 254, with Edwin J. "Jack" Stalter as minister.
In 1999 merger discussions began with Flanagan Mennonite Church and on 15 April 2001 the two congregations merged, forming Prairieview Mennonite Church. The congregation is located at the former Waldo site.
|Author(s)||J. D Hartzler|
Cite This Article
Hartzler, J. D. "Waldo Mennonite Church (Flanagan, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Nov 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Waldo_Mennonite_Church_(Flanagan,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=116978.
Hartzler, J. D. (1959). Waldo Mennonite Church (Flanagan, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 November 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Waldo_Mennonite_Church_(Flanagan,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=116978.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.