Waldheim (Russian, Waltajem, later Solianka) and Dosidorf (Zabara). About 1837 twelve Swiss-Volhynian Mennonite families from Horodyszcze, Volhynia, settled the two villages, Waldheim and Dosidorf, which were located approximately 20 miles southwest of Novograd-Volynsk (Novohrad-Volynskyi). In 1843 this congregation was called the "Gemeinde in der Colonie Dosidorf," but later Waldheim became the leading village. The land was owned by the settlers, this being the first instance of ownership among the Swiss-Volhynian Mennonites. The church was served by elders Joseph and Johan Schrag and minister Christian Graber. A few families left the two villages in 1861 and joined the new settlement at Neumannovka-Kutusovka in eastern Volhynia. The entire Waldheim-Dosidorf group immigrated to Hutchinson and Turner counties in South Dakota in 1874.
|Author(s)||Martin H Schrag|
Cite This Article
Schrag, Martin H. "Waldheim (Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 Apr 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Waldheim_(Zhytomyr_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=78547.
Schrag, Martin H. (1959). Waldheim (Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 April 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Waldheim_(Zhytomyr_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=78547.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.