From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Wadsworth First Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite [GCM] ), located in Wadsworth, Medina County, Ohio, 12 miles west of Akron, was organized by Ephraim Hunsberger in 1852, who came to Wadsworth from Berks County, Pennsylvania. The first members were three families from the Bally Mennonite (GCM) Church at Hereford, Pennsylvania, who came in 1851. At the dedication of the first meetinghouse on 9 October 1853, twelve were baptized to be added to the charter membership of 10. Hunsberger was ordained 10 October 1852 in Pennsylvania for the new congregation at Wadsworth, and began preaching at Wadsworth the same month. The first deacon was ordained in 1853. In 1892 the congregation purchased its present meetinghouse, a former Congregational church on the corner of College and Pardee streets. The membership in 1957 was 264; A. J. Neuenschwander was the pastor.


Author(s) Russell L Mast
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Mast, Russell L. "Wadsworth First Mennonite Church (Wadsworth, Medina County, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 12 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wadsworth_First_Mennonite_Church_(Wadsworth,_Medina_County,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=78518.

APA style

Mast, Russell L. (1959). Wadsworth First Mennonite Church (Wadsworth, Medina County, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 12 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wadsworth_First_Mennonite_Church_(Wadsworth,_Medina_County,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=78518.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 866. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.