Volendam Agricultural Co-operative (Cooperative Agricola de Volendam), located in Colony Volendam near the port of Mbopicua, was organized on 2 July 1947, under the Paraguayan law No. 13635 of 1942, with a membership of 295, which included all family heads of the colony. The Co-operative was founded upon the advice of the colony leaders and Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) representatives to facilitate adequate distribution of funds made available by the MCC, to enable the economical provision of supplies to the settlers and profitable sale of their produce, and to establish small basic industries that would meet the daily needs of the immigrants. The first year its only capital was maintenance funds and loans made available by the MCC. Its shares are valued at 20,000 guaranies, payable by dividends, and its 1949 turnover was 460,000 guaranies; profits are either used for the expansion of the Co-operative or paid to the members in the form of new shares. The Co-operative and its president are responsible to the administration of the colony (Amt) for all its activities and acts as the financial arm of the colony in all matters. Besides a shortage of operating capital, considerable difficulties were at first encountered through the armed raids of Paraguayan bandits at repeated intervals, who took advantage of the unarmed Mennonite watchmen.
Cite This Article
Klassen, Peter. "Volendam Agricultural Co-operative (Colony Volendam, San Pedro Department, Paraguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Volendam_Agricultural_Co-operative_(Colony_Volendam,_San_Pedro_Department,_Paraguay)&oldid=85840.
Klassen, Peter. (1959). Volendam Agricultural Co-operative (Colony Volendam, San Pedro Department, Paraguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Volendam_Agricultural_Co-operative_(Colony_Volendam,_San_Pedro_Department,_Paraguay)&oldid=85840.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.