Vineland, a village in Lincoln County, Ontario, the heart of the fruit-growing belt of the Niagara Peninsula, the site of the oldest existing (not the first) settlement of Mennonites in Ontario, and the first organized Mennonite church, founded in 1801. The settlement is historically known as the Twenty, taking its name from the Twenty Mile Creek, about 20 miles from Niagara Falls. The first settlers arrived about 1786 from Pennsylvania, with a large number coming from Bucks County, Pennsylvania, in 1800-1801. The church, here suffered three serious schisms during the latter half of the century, giving birth to the Mennonite Brethren in Christ congregation about 1875, and the Wisler Church, now extinct, in 1889. The membership in 1959 was 68; it is a Mennonite Church congregation.
Two congregations of Russian Mennonites have been established in the village following the immigration of 1922-23. The United Mennonite Church, organized in 1936, had a membership of over 340 in the late 1950s, and the Vineland Mennonite Brethren Church, organized in 1935, a membership of 270 at that time. A large percentage of the members are fruit-growers, with an increasing number finding employment in near-by cities. Bethesda Home, a mental hospital operated by the Mennonite Brethren Conference, is located about two miles southwest of the village. A home for the aged was erected in the village in 1955 by the United Mennonite churches of the area.
Cite This Article
C., B. "Vineland (Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 7 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vineland_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=68900.
C., B. (1959). Vineland (Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vineland_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=68900.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.