Vincent Mennonite Church (Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA)
Vincent Mennonite Church (Mennonite Conference), located in East Vincent Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, a member of the Franconia Mennonite Conference, was probably established in 1735. In 1798 John and Catherine Rhoades conveyed two acres of land to representatives of the congregation, and for a long time the meetinghouse was called the Rhoades Church. This meetinghouse was remodeled in 1858, and razed in 1889 when a new church, 35 x 55 ft. was built. The Vincent congregation was small. It is claimed that the steep- pitched roof (making it appear more church-like than most Mennonite meetinghouses) was built to facilitate the sale of the church in case the congregation died out. Sunday school and the English language were both adopted well in advance of the rest of the Franconia Conference congregations, and these two changes probably prevented the death of the church. The ministers of the congregation in 1958 were Amos Kolb, bishop, and Matthew Kolb and Jacob F. Kolb, preachers, with a membership of 152.
In 1974 the congregation moved from the Rhoades meetinghouse to its current location. The congregation had 109 members in 2008.
Wenger, J. C. History of the Mennonites of the Franconia Conference. Telford, 1937: 112-16.
Address: 39 Seven Stars Road, Spring City, PA 19475
|Author(s)||John C Wenger|
Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. "Vincent Mennonite Church (Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Aug 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vincent_Mennonite_Church_(Spring_City,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=85776.
Wenger, John C. (1959). Vincent Mennonite Church (Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 August 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vincent_Mennonite_Church_(Spring_City,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=85776.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.