The Vanderhoof Mennonite Brethren congregation began services in 1953. The first building was occupied in 1954, with a subsequent building program in 1975. Calvin and Tillie Buehler are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation originated through outreach by of West Coast Children's Mission. It was affiliated with the British Columbia Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches.
The congregation joined the Associated Gospel Church in 1963-64, rather than the Mennonite Brethren Conference, and became known as the Vanderhoof Gospel Chapel. The language of worship was English.
In 1983 a group of families in Vanderhoof invited the Board of Church Extension of the British Columbia Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches to help begin a Mennonite Brethren church, and Nechako Community Church was formed.
An earlier Mennonite Brethren community at Vanderhoof, led by Elder Heinrich Voth, was established about 1918 by American draft resisters from Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Kansas. A church was built at Braeside in 1919. Most of these settlers returned to the United States in the early 1920s.
Hancock, Lyn, ed. Vanderhoof: the Town That Wouldn't Wait. Vanderhoof: Nechako Valley Historical Society, 1979, 211 pp.
Mennonite Reporter (18 March 1974): 10; (5 August 1974): 9.
|Date Published||July 2016|
 Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Vanderhoof Mennonite Brethren Church (Vanderhoof, British Columbia, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2016. Web. 27 Feb 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vanderhoof_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Vanderhoof,_British_Columbia,_Canada)&oldid=142101.
Epp, Marlene. (July 2016). Vanderhoof Mennonite Brethren Church (Vanderhoof, British Columbia, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 February 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vanderhoof_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Vanderhoof,_British_Columbia,_Canada)&oldid=142101.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.