Ein Unpartheyisches Gesangbuch (Ein was dropped after the second edition), first published at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in 1804 as the hymnbook of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church [MC]), the second Mennonite hymnbook to be compiled in America, was long used in this conference (15 editions 1804-87), also in the Ontario, Virginia, and Southwestern Pennsylvania Mennonite (MC) conferences and in the Old Order Mennonite bodies at various places. It is still used in Lancaster County by certain conservative groups (reprints at Lancaster 1923 and 1941 for the Amish congregations). It is noteworthy as the only Mennonite hymnal to borrow substantially from the Ausbund; it contains 64 Ausbund hymns, which is 45 per cent of the Ausbund total, and 17 per cent of the 390 basic hymns in the Gesangbuch. The first edition contained 511 pages. (See Hymnology for a detailed discussion of the book and the several other hymnals derived from it.)
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Unpartheyisches Gesangbuch, Ein." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 9 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Unpartheyisches_Gesangbuch,_Ein&oldid=93793.
Bender, Harold S. (1959). Unpartheyisches Gesangbuch, Ein. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 9 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Unpartheyisches_Gesangbuch,_Ein&oldid=93793.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.