The United Missionary Society was organized in 1921 by action of the General Conference of the United Missionary Church (UMC) of 1920. It is composed of representatives of all the annual conferences of the UMC of the United States and Canada. Jasper A. Huffman was the first president of the United Missionary Society. The foreign mission work of the church dates back to 1890. This mission work grew rapidly under the direction of the United Missionary Society. In 1940 the Women's Auxiliary Society of the organization was founded which promoted various projects, including hospitals. In 1955 there were missions in Africa, India, the Near East, Japan, South America, and Mexico, with about 100 missionaries from the Society in service. In 1968 the Society received almost $500,000 in donations in support of foreign missionary work. The Society as a distinct organization ended in 1968 when the UMC and the Missionary Church Association merged to become the Missionary Church. The headquarters for the United Missionary Society were at Elkhart, Indiana.
Lageer, Eileen Merging Streams: Story of the Missionary Church. Elkhart, IN: Bethel Publishing Company, 1979: 171.
|Author(s)||Jasper A Huffman|
 Cite This Article
Huffman, Jasper A. "United Missionary Society." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 Jun 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=United_Missionary_Society&oldid=78401.
Huffman, Jasper A. (1959). United Missionary Society. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 June 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=United_Missionary_Society&oldid=78401.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.