The Janjgir Union Bible School was opened on 3 July 1930 as a training school for native pastors, evangelists, teachers, and Bible women of the Hindustani congregations of the General Conference Mennonite Church in central India, with a three-year course. The school began with six months of classroom work, conducted in the Sunday-school wings of the Janjgir Church, and two months of village evangelism, but soon increased to nine months of classroom work with one-month village evangelism. The first term had 14 students, with W. F. Unruh as principal. Succeeding principals were Martha Burkhalter, S. T. Moyer, J. R. Duerksen, and Curt Claassen. Under J. R. Duerksen the school became an inter-mission school, though the administration and staff remained General Conference Mennonite. In 1955 only 21 of the 47 students were of the General Conference Church; the remainder being distributed as follows: Churches of Christ 16, Mennonite Church (MC) in India 4, Mission Bands 2, Evangelical Christian Church (Allahabad) 2. The Bible School closed in 1960, as the Mennonite groups began to cooperate with the inter-denominational Union Biblical Seminary at Yavatmal.
Juhnke, James C. A People of Mission: A History of General Conference Mennonite Overseas Missions. Newton, KS: Faith and Life, 1979: 169-170.
|Author(s)||Harold S. Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. and Sam Steiner. "Union Bible School (Janjgir, Madhya Pradesh, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2009. Web. 28 Feb 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Union_Bible_School_(Janjgir,_Madhya_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=113051.
Bender, Harold S. and Sam Steiner. (2009). Union Bible School (Janjgir, Madhya Pradesh, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 February 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Union_Bible_School_(Janjgir,_Madhya_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=113051.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.