From GAMEO
Revision as of 21:20, 2 December 2013 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Turner's Creek Mennonite Church, 1948.
Scan courtesy Mennonite Church USA Archives-Goshen X-31.1, Box 17/16

Turner's Creek Mennonite Church (formerly Turner's Creek Mennonite Mission) (Conservative Mennonite Conference), located in Breathitt County, near Talbert, Kentucky, about 20 miles south and west of Jackson, was established in November 1946 under the Conservative (Amish) Mennonite Conference. Alvin Swartz, who opened the work, was ordained as pastor in 1947 and as bishop in 1948; he was still serving in 1958, assisted by Oakley Turner, ordained in 1954. Other workers in 1959 were E. R. (Mrs. Alvin) Swartz, Clara Swartz (on leave), and Mary Elizabeth Miller. The membership in 1959 was 31. A meetinghouse was completed and dedicated in November 1948.

In 2012 the minister was Philip Swartzentruber and membership was 48.

Bibliography

Hershberger, Brenda. Anabaptist (Mennonite) Directory 2012-13. Harrisonburg, VA: The Sword and Trumpet, 2012: 56.

Additional Information

Address: 3424 Hwy 1933, Talbert, KY 41339-8560

Telephone: 606-295-2535

Denominational Affiliation: Conservative Mennonite Conference


Author(s) E. R. Swartz
Richard D. Thiessen
Date Published April 2012


Cite This Article

MLA style

Swartz, E. R. and Richard D. Thiessen. "Turner's Creek Mennonite Church (Talbert, Kentucky, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 25 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Turner%27s_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Talbert,_Kentucky,_USA)&oldid=104579.

APA style

Swartz, E. R. and Richard D. Thiessen. (April 2012). Turner's Creek Mennonite Church (Talbert, Kentucky, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Turner%27s_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Talbert,_Kentucky,_USA)&oldid=104579.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 756. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.