Tressler Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) is located near Greenwood, Delaware. The settlement of Mennonites in this area was begun in 1914, when a number of Mennonite and Conservative Amish Mennonite families moved into this section from the region of Grantsville, Maryland. The two groups worshiped together for some time, meeting in homes and barns, under the leadership of the Amish. After some years the Mennonite group began to meet separately under lay leadership. In 1935 the group was organized into a congregation by J. A. Ressler, Scottdale, Pennsylvania, a bishop of the Southwestern Pennsylvania (now Allegheny) Mennonite Conference. This seemed to be the logical connection, since most of the people came from this conference area. A school building and ground were donated to the church by the heirs of William Tressler. An addition to this building, bringing the size to 28 x 60 ft., was made in 1954. The first bishop in charge was J. A. Ressler, and the first minister to serve the congregation was W. C. Hershberger, formerly of near Johnstown, Pennsylvania. The membership in 1957 was 30 with Walter Campbell as pastor and Paul M. Lederach as bishop.
|Author(s)||John L Horst|
Cite This Article
Horst, John L. "Tressler Mennonite Church (Greenwood, Delaware, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 4 Sep 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tressler_Mennonite_Church_(Greenwood,_Delaware,_USA)&oldid=78278.
Horst, John L. (1959). Tressler Mennonite Church (Greenwood, Delaware, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 September 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tressler_Mennonite_Church_(Greenwood,_Delaware,_USA)&oldid=78278.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.