The Toronto Chinese Mennonite congregation began services in 1979, and formally organized in 1980. The first building was occupied in 1989; for its first years it met at the Danforth Mennonite Church on Sunday afternoons. Winfred and Jean Soong are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation originated through outreach.
Toronto Chinese withdrew from the General Conference and Canadian Conference in 1991 claiming it was unable to meet its commitments to the conferences. It rejoined the Canadian Conference in 1995 along with other Mennonite Conference of Eastern Canada associate congregations.
In 1985 there were 52 members; in 1995, 127; in 2000, 93. The congregation has been affiliated with the Conference of United Mennonite Churches of Ontario (1982-1988), Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada (1981-1991, 1995-), General Conference Mennonite Church (1983-1991) and the Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-). The language of worship is Cantonese and English; the transition from Chinese occurred in 1988.
The church is located at 1038 Woodbine Ave., Toronto, ON, M4C 4C4. (416) 424-2078. Minister Jameson Sung served in 2002 as the Catonese-speaking pastor and Mike Davis served as the Interim English-speaking pastor.
Mennonite Reporter (8 January 1990): 12; (29 July 1991): B8; (16 September 1991): 4; (13 November 1995): 8.
Some records at Mennonite Heritage Centre.
|Date Published||July 2000|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. "Toronto Chinese Mennonite Church (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2000. Web. 16 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Toronto_Chinese_Mennonite_Church_(Toronto,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=93754.
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. (July 2000). Toronto Chinese Mennonite Church (Toronto, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Toronto_Chinese_Mennonite_Church_(Toronto,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=93754.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.