From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Topeka Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite [GCM]), located in Topeka, Lagrange County, Indiana, a member of the Central District, began in 1893 when Silver Street members and others living near Topeka began to worship together. They purchased the Eden Chapel in 1897, moved it west of Topeka, and used it until the present building was completed in 1927. John Mehl was the first pastor. He was succeeded by John C. Lehman, Ernest Hostetler, Earl Salzman, Wilmer S. Shelly, Esko Loewen, and Orlin F. Frey. The charter membership in 1898 was 21; 90 were added in 1930 when a part of the Maple Grove (Mennonite Church, later unaffiliated) congregation merged with this church. The membership in 1959 was 208, with Roy W. Henry as pastor.


Author(s) Orlin F Frey
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Frey, Orlin F. "Topeka Mennonite Church (Topeka, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Topeka_Mennonite_Church_(Topeka,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=78244.

APA style

Frey, Orlin F. (1959). Topeka Mennonite Church (Topeka, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Topeka_Mennonite_Church_(Topeka,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=78244.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 738. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.