Toews, Cornelius J. (1852-1915)
Cornelius J. Toews: a leading agricultural expert of the Mennonites of Russia; b. 4 February 1852 in the village of Altona in the Molotschna Mennonite settlement. He married Helena Wiens (1848-1920) and they had seven children (see Additional Information for more information regarding Cornelius' family). Cornelius d. 4 April 1915.
In his youth he recognized the value of innovations by Johann Cornies. As the owner of a large farm at Ebenfeld, near Genichesk, a port on the Sea of Asov, he practiced the culture of grain combined with summer fallow (Schwarzbrache), and was one of the pioneers in this profitable method of farming in the Ukraine. His prosperity enabled him both to acquire more and more land and also to give large sums to charitable purposes. He built privately the first telephone in the area of Melitopol.
GRANDMA (The Genealogical Registry and Database of Mennonite Ancestry) Database, 5.00 ed. Fresno, CA: California Mennonite Historical Society, 2006: No. 693797.
The wife of Cornelius was Helena Wiens (9 October 1848 - 20 September 1920). She was the daughter of Jacob Wiens (b. 21 September 1822) and Maria (Cornies) Wiens (29 October 1821, Ohrloff, Molotschna, South Russia - 18 April 1886). Cornelius and Helena had seven children: Jacob (died young), Helena, Maria, Jacob, Anna, Agatha (died young), and Agatha.
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||March 2007|
Cite This Article
Wiebe, Johannes and Richard D. Thiessen. "Toews, Cornelius J. (1852-1915)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2007. Web. 23 May 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Toews,_Cornelius_J._(1852-1915)&oldid=78216.
Wiebe, Johannes and Richard D. Thiessen. (March 2007). Toews, Cornelius J. (1852-1915). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Toews,_Cornelius_J._(1852-1915)&oldid=78216.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 735. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.