From GAMEO
Revision as of 16:30, 20 January 2014 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Tjummarum, a village in the northwest part of the Dutch province of Friesland, where Elder Leenaert Bouwens baptized five persons in 1563-65. At least in 1610 and probably long before, there was a Mennonite congregation here, concerning which information is very scarce. It had a meetinghouse in town and in 1695 it joined the Conference of Friesland, then numbering about 40 members. Throughout the 18th century the pulpit was vacant, services mostly being conducted by the preachers of Harlingen. In 1762 the few remaining members joined the Franeker congregation.

Bibliography

Busé, H. J. "De verdwenen Doopsgezinde gemeenten in Friesland." De Vrije Fries XXII: 16-18.

Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Friesland. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff, 1839: 89, 189, 193.


Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Tjummarum (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 26 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tjummarum_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=110065.

APA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Tjummarum (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tjummarum_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=110065.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 732. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.