Tjalleberd, a village in the Dutch province of Friesland, where according to Blaupot ten Cate, Mennonites were found from the early 17th century, Jacob Theunis, an elder of the Janjacobsgezinden, baptizing here 14 persons in 1603-1618. Of a Janjacobsgezinde congregation at Tjalleberd, however, nothing is known. If there was one, it had disappeared by 1700.
A new congregation was founded at Tjalleberd in 1817. Shortly after 1800 a number of Mennonite families from Giethoorn had moved to Tjalleberd to dig the peat moors here and in the neighboring hamlets of Gersloot and Luinjeberd. Gerrit Bakker, from 1811 pastor of the neighboring congregation of Oldeboorn, took care of the Mennonites in Tjalleberd and its environs; on 26 February 1817, he conducted a service in a barn at Gersloot, which was the beginning of the Tjalleberd congregation. A meetinghouse was built, dedicated on 15 November 1818. The membership then numbered 23; among these were fourteen persons who had moved in from Giethoorn, where they had been baptized. The first preacher of the congregation was Teunis Wolter Schreurs, an untrained minister, from Zwartsluis, who with great blessing served until his death in 1826. He was followed by Wiebe Gosses Hulsinga 1826-c29; U. H. Jeepsz, a learned man, Litt. D., though not trained for the ministry, 1830-33; Pieter Willem van Zutphen 1836-40, who was the first pastor of Tjalleberd, trained at the Amsterdam Mennonite Seminary; Anthony Winkler Prins 1841-50; F. J. Klaasesz 1851-53; A. S. Hoitsema 1853-56; W. C. van Staveren 1857-d.65; J. U. Uiterwijk 1865-66; H. D. Tjeenk Willink 1868-71; J. Kops 1871-d.72; J. Schippers 1872-80; B. Haga 1881-82; L. van Cleeff Ijzn 1882-87; A. van der Wissel 1889-90; F. van der Ploeg 1892-94; A. J. van Loghem Slaterus 1896-99; G. Heeringa 1900-2; U. Y. Veenland 1903-40; Miss C. Boerlage 1941-47; Miss T. van der Zwaag 1947-55; from 1955 Miss T. G. Siccama, then at Bovenknijpe, was temporarily in charge of the Tjalleberd congregation; in 1957 she moved to Wolvega and also serves at Tjalleberd in a more definite union.
The old meetinghouse and parsonage was remodeled in 1847, 1857, and 1867. The present church was built in 1867. A pipe organ was added in 1888.
Only once, in November 1832, the ban was applied and a member cut off from the church. The membership, 23 in 1818, increased to 104 in 1838, 130 in 1861; in 1901 it numbered 101, 115 in 1926, and 96 in 1958. Among the early members were found the following family names, which also are found in Giethoorn: Baas, Petter, Ruiter, Meester, Broers (Broer), Dam, Schreurs, Krikke, Simons, Klaren, and Otter. About 1838 some members of the Wuite family came to Tjalleberd from Giethoorn. Church activities are ladies' circle, youth group, and Sunday school for children.
Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Friesland. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff, 1839: 164, 245, 248.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1861): 143; (1872): 4, 191; (1873): 190; (1901): 17.
Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam, 2 vols. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: v. II, Nos. 2278; v. II, 2, No. 493.
Naamlijst der tegenwoordig in dienst zijnde predikanten der Mennoniten in de vereenigde Nederlanden. Amsterdam, 1829: 52 ff.
Veenland, U. Y. "Het 100-jarig bestaan der Gemeente te Tjalleberd." Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1919): 62-81.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Tjalleberd (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 27 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tjalleberd_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=111951.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Tjalleberd (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tjalleberd_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=111951.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.