Revision as of 14:22, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
Thorn (now Toruń, Poland) Source: Wikipedia
Thorn (also known as Thorun, Thorunium, civitas Thorunensis, or civitas Torunensis, Tarnowo, Torun, Turon, Turun, Toron, and Thoron; now called Toruń; coordinates: 53.033333, 18.616667 [53° 2′ N 18° 37′ E]; population in 1875, 18,631, in 1910, 46,227, in 2009, 205,934), a city in Poland situated on the Vistula, where Mennonites lived in 1586. The members may have joined the Obernessau (also called Nieschewski) congregation. In 1678 the magistrates of Thorn issued a mandate forbidding the citizens to shelter Arians, Anabaptists, and Mennonites.


Szper, Felicia. Nederl. Nederzettinqen in West-Pruisen . . . . Enkhuizen, 1913: 152, 202 ff.


Map:Toruń (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)

Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1959

Cite This Article

MLA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Thorn (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 27 Nov 2015.,_Poland)&oldid=93726.

APA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Thorn (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 November 2015, from,_Poland)&oldid=93726.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 716. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.

©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.