Thomas Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) was the third congregation organized in the Johnstown District of the Allegheny Mennonite Conference (formerly Southwestern Pennsylvania District Conference). This section had no church building for nearly one hundred years after the first Mennonite settlers came into the vicinity. They attended services a few times a year at the Blough church (erected 1836), which was the original congregation in this area. Prior to 1874 they also occasionally had services in the summer in the Thomasdale Schoolhouse about two miles from Thomas Mills. Names of original settlers in the Thomas church area were Thomas, Croyle, Saylor, Johns, Mishler, Woods, Speigle, Hershberger, Kaufman, Gindelsperger, Alwine, and Lehman. A house of worship (36 x 50 ft.) was erected near Thomas Mills in 1874 on a plot of ground sold by John Thomas, Sr., for $50. In 1916 a new brick building (46 x 70 ft.) was erected to take care of the increasing membership. The church is located about ten miles southwest of Johnstown. The congregation conducts a mission at Headrick just north of Johnstown. Ordained men who have served the congregation have borne the names of Gindelsperger, Hershberger, Saylor, Eash, and Wingard. In 1957 the membership of the congregation was 167, with Aldus Wingard as bishop-pastor.
|Author(s)||John L Horst|
Cite This Article
Horst, John L. "Thomas Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Thomas_Mennonite_Church_(Holsopple,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=78146.
Horst, John L. (1959). Thomas Mennonite Church (Holsopple, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Thomas_Mennonite_Church_(Holsopple,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=78146.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.