Terhorne (Friesland, Netherlands)
Terhorne (in old documents often called Terhorne in Waterland), a village in the Dutch province of Friesland, the seat of a Mennonite congregation, which according to Blaupot ten Cate was founded before 1550; this early date is, however, questionable. Leenaert Bouwens baptized 30 persons here in 1561-66, and it is supposed that the letter of 1 September 1557(?), by Menno Simons, Letter to the Brethren in Waterhorne, was addressed to the Mennonites of Terhorne.
There is not much information about the Terhorne congregation. About 1713 it joined the Sociëteit of Mennonite congregations in Friesland. The congregation, whose members were mostly farmers and skippers with some fishermen, was until the end of the 18th century rather conservative as to living and dress: in 1765 a woman was not admitted to communion because she wore a gold cap (oorijzer).
The present meetinghouse was dedicated on 24 September 1865. An organ was installed in 1907, replaced in 1939. The parsonage, still in use, was a gift of the H. W. van der Velde family in 1855.
Until 1782 the congregation was served by preachers chosen from its own members; then (lay) preachers were called in from outside, one of whom, Oeds Roelofs Dantuma, a baker, served with great blessing from 1791 to 1836. The first pastor of Terhorne educated at the Amsterdam Mennonite Seminary was Jan Hendrik Akkerman, serving 1837-39; he was followed by Pieter Overbeek 1841-67, H. G. Dornseiffen 1867-1902, J. Koster 1902-5, A. Stiel 1905-9, G. A. Hulshoff 1910-13, A. de Vries Mzn 1914-35, J. W. Sipkema 1938-42, J. P. Keuning 1942-45, F. H. Sixma 1945-48, P. Messie 1949-53, and Miss J. Gorter 1954- . Among the church activities are a Sunday school for children and ladies' circle.
Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Friesland. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff, 1839: 89, 94, 189, 226, 248, 252, 254, 306.
The Complete Writings of Menno Simons, c. 1496-1561, trans. Leonard Verduin, ed. J. C. Wenger. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1956: 1055.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1861): 142.
Opera Omnia Theologica, of alle de Godtgeleerde wercken van Menno Simons. Amsterdam: By Joannes van Veen, boecken pargament-verkooper, 1681: 392.
Reliwiki. "Terherne, Buorren 35 - Doopsgezinde Vermaning." 14 June 2014. Web. 15 October 2014. http://reliwiki.nl/index.php/Terhorne,_Buorren_35_-_Doopsgezinde_Vermaning.
Congregation: Doopsgezinde Gemeente Mid-Fryslân: Terhorne/Terherne
Address: Buorren 35-37, 8493 LC Terhorne/Terherne, Netherlands
Church website: Doopsgezinde Gemeente Mid-Fryslân: Terhorne/Terherne
Doopsgezinde Gemeente Mid-Fryslân: Terhorne/Terherne Membership
The baptized membership, numbering some 110 about 1713 and 125 in 1738, was 119 in 1838, 128 in 1861, 144 in 1901, and 86 in 1958.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Terhorne (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Terhorne_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=126249.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Terhorne (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Terhorne_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=126249.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 696-697. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.