The first Mennonite church, as distinguished from the Amish, in Illinois was the Union Church organized near Washington. The first settlers came into the area in 1833 but apparently the church was not organized until the early 1840's. A Sunday school was organized in the Union Church around 1865, one of the first in the state. The Union Church no longer exists, most of the members having gone to the Metamora Church with which there had been conjoint services for many years.
In 1958 there were Mennonite Churches (MC) congregations at Hopedale, Morton, Dillon, Highway Village, and Pleasant Hill; General Conference Mennonite congregations at Hopedale, Pekin, and Washington; and Evangelical Mennonite congregations at Groveland and Morton (organized in 1958). There were approximately 1,700 Mennonites in Tazewell County.
|Author(s)||Tilman R Smith|
Cite This Article
Smith, Tilman R. "Tazewell County (Illinois)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Oct 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tazewell_County_(Illinois)&oldid=93689.
Smith, Tilman R. (1959). Tazewell County (Illinois). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tazewell_County_(Illinois)&oldid=93689.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.