The Tavistock Mennonite congregation at Tavistock, ON began services in 1942 but was not formally organized as an independent congregation until 1964. The congregation grew from the East Zorra Mennonite Church. East Zorra experienced continued growth through the years, and found that an increasing number of its members lived in town. Many older members living in Tavistock and surrounding areas found it difficult in winter to drive to East Zorra due to road conditions. Bishop Daniel Iutzi had grandchildren living in Tavistock and was concerned that his children and grandchildren would attend church. Minister Jacob R. Bender also carried a vision for outreach in the community. Iutzi and Bender can be considered the founding leaders of the Tavistock congregation. The ministry was shared by East Zorra, Cassel and Tavistock until 1954 when ministered were "stationed" at each location.
Tavistock has maintained an active Mennonite Youth Fellowship program for youth; and the women's organization has met monthly from the beginning, doing much quilting and knotting of comforters. Boys and Girls clubs and a Seniors group have also been active in recent decades. Many members have participated in voluntary service with Mennonite Central Committee, as well as programs like Mennonite Disaster Service, Youth Evangelism Service, and SALT (Serve and Learn Together). Some have also served on the mission field in Argentina and Colombia. The congregation sponsored two refugee families from Vietnam and one from El Salvador. In 2003 it cooperated with other Mennonite churches in sponsoring a large Afghan family.
Tavistock has been a growing town, and the congregation has attracted some of the newcomers. Tavistock Mennonite Church has striven to be a mission-minded, inviting and caring congregation. It's vision is to be a worshipping community of disciples in mission.
Mennonite Reporter (26 July 1982): 14; (3 August 1992): 11.
Martin, Wilmer. "History of the Tavistock Mennonite Church."
Ramseyer, Alvin. "History of the Tavistock Mennonite Church." 1972, 4 pp., Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Lichti, Fred. A History of the East Zorra (Amish) Mennonite Church 1837-1977. Tavistock, ON: East Zorra Mennonite Church, 1977, 132 pp.
Bender, Wray L. A History of the Tavistock Mennonite Church, 1942-1992. Tavistock: Tavistock Mennonite Church, 1992, 68 pp.
Church records at Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
 Additional Information
Table 1: Tavistock Mennonite Church Pastoral Leaders
|Daniel Iutzi (Bishop) (shared with East Zorra & Cassel)||1942-1948|
|Jacob R. Bender (shared with East Zorra & Cassel)||1942-1947|
|Menno Kipfer (shared with East Zorra & Cassel until 1954)||1942-1959|
|Joel Schwartzentruber (shared with East Zorra & Cassel until 1954)||1947-1978|
|David Schwartzentruber (shared with East Zorra & Cassel; "stationed" at Tavistock in 1954)||1942-1968|
|Henry Yantzi (Bishop, 1948-)||1947-1964|
|Peter C. Erb||1966-1967|
|Doug Zehr (Interim)||1978|
|Nancy Brubaker-Bauman (Part-time)||1987-1988|
|Rufus Jutzi (Interim)||1988-1989|
|Julie Ellison White||1994-2000|
|Winston Martin (Interim)||2003|
|Will Loewen (Interim Youth Minister)||2004-|
|Laurence Martin (Interim)||Dec. 2004-|
Table 2: Tavistock Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||December 2003|
 Cite This Article
Leis, Violet. "Tavistock Mennonite Church (Tavistock, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2003. Web. 23 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tavistock_Mennonite_Church_(Tavistock,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=93687.
Leis, Violet. (December 2003). Tavistock Mennonite Church (Tavistock, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Tavistock_Mennonite_Church_(Tavistock,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=93687.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.