From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
(CSV import - 20130823)
Line 1: Line 1:
Swift Current Bible Institute, located at 510 Cheadle Street East, [[Swift Current (Saskatchewan, Canada)|Swift Current]], Saskatchewan, was founded in 1936 by [[Bahnmann, Nicolai W. (1879-1945) & Bahnmann, Meta Regier (1887-1975)|Nicolai Bahnmann]] through and under the direction of Bishop [[Toews, David (1870-1947)|David Toews]]for the [[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference of Mennonites]]of Canada. In 1955 the plant consisted of three buildings—a residence for the principal, a building used for administration, classrooms, girls' dormitory, and kitchen and dining room, and a building for teachers' residence and men's dormitory. The term of the Institute is about 5.5 months; the course consists of the regular Evangelical Teacher Training Association subjects and Mennonite history, missions, catechism, etc. There are no educational requirements for admission. It is governed by an executive committee of six members and a board of directors of fourteen members. In 1957 the principal was Werner Zacharias; the staff consisted of three full-time teachers, and the enrollment was 34.
+
Swift Current Bible Institute, located at 510 Cheadle Street East, [[Swift Current (Saskatchewan, Canada)|Swift Current]], Saskatchewan, was founded in 1936 by [[Bahnmann, Nicolai W. (1879-1945) & Bahnmann, Meta Regier (1887-1975)|Nicolai Bahnmann]] through and under the direction of Bishop [[Toews, David (1870-1947)|David Toews ]]for the [[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference of Mennonites ]]of Canada. In 1955 the plant consisted of three buildings—a residence for the principal, a building used for administration, classrooms, girls' dormitory, and kitchen and dining room, and a building for teachers' residence and men's dormitory. The term of the Institute is about 5.5 months; the course consists of the regular Evangelical Teacher Training Association subjects and Mennonite history, missions, catechism, etc. There are no educational requirements for admission. It is governed by an executive committee of six members and a board of directors of fourteen members. In 1957 the principal was Werner Zacharias; the staff consisted of three full-time teachers, and the enrollment was 34.
  
 
In 1996 the two supporting conferences, the [[Mennonite Church Saskatchewan|Conference of Mennonites in Saskatchewan]] and the [[Mennonite Church Alberta|Conference of Mennonites in Alberta]], decided to no longer financially support the school due to low enrollment, and as a result the school was closed. In 1997 the building was sold to the [[Swift Current Evangelical Mennonite Church (Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada)|Swift Current Evangelical Mennonite Church]] and most of the library was sent to schools and churches in Ukraine.
 
In 1996 the two supporting conferences, the [[Mennonite Church Saskatchewan|Conference of Mennonites in Saskatchewan]] and the [[Mennonite Church Alberta|Conference of Mennonites in Alberta]], decided to no longer financially support the school due to low enrollment, and as a result the school was closed. In 1997 the building was sold to the [[Swift Current Evangelical Mennonite Church (Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada)|Swift Current Evangelical Mennonite Church]] and most of the library was sent to schools and churches in Ukraine.

Revision as of 14:51, 23 August 2013

Swift Current Bible Institute, located at 510 Cheadle Street East, Swift Current, Saskatchewan, was founded in 1936 by Nicolai Bahnmann through and under the direction of Bishop David Toews for the General Conference of Mennonites of Canada. In 1955 the plant consisted of three buildings—a residence for the principal, a building used for administration, classrooms, girls' dormitory, and kitchen and dining room, and a building for teachers' residence and men's dormitory. The term of the Institute is about 5.5 months; the course consists of the regular Evangelical Teacher Training Association subjects and Mennonite history, missions, catechism, etc. There are no educational requirements for admission. It is governed by an executive committee of six members and a board of directors of fourteen members. In 1957 the principal was Werner Zacharias; the staff consisted of three full-time teachers, and the enrollment was 34.

In 1996 the two supporting conferences, the Conference of Mennonites in Saskatchewan and the Conference of Mennonites in Alberta, decided to no longer financially support the school due to low enrollment, and as a result the school was closed. In 1997 the building was sold to the Swift Current Evangelical Mennonite Church and most of the library was sent to schools and churches in Ukraine.

Bibliography

Mennonite Brethren Herald (April 19, 1996): http://old.mbconf.ca/mb/mbh3508.htm; (June 27, 1997): http://old.mbconf.ca/mb/mbh3613.htm.


Author(s) Werner Zacharias
Date Published June 2008


Cite This Article

MLA style

Zacharias, Werner. "Swift Current Bible Institute (Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2008. Web. 22 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Swift_Current_Bible_Institute_(Swift_Current,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=96682.

APA style

Zacharias, Werner. (June 2008). Swift Current Bible Institute (Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Swift_Current_Bible_Institute_(Swift_Current,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=96682.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 669. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.