From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:34, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search
Source: Wikipedia Commons Wikipedia Commons
Sumiswald, one of the most beautiful villages (pop. 6,000 in 1958; 5,179 in 2004) of the Emmental, Swiss canton of Bern (coordinates: 47° 1′ 45″ N, 7° 44′ 40″ E). Soon after the beginning of the Reformation it became an important center of Anabaptism and added a significant chapter to the story of the martyrdom of the Mennonites of Bern. In 1529 Moritz Kessler, of Sumiswald, was a martyr in Bern, and in 1537 and 1538 three women of Sumiswald met the same fate. The last Bernese martyr, Hans Haslibacher, also came from this region. Melchior Aeberli, of Sumiswald, was tortured in Bern in 1569; on the rack he declared that Anabaptist teachings were not sectarian but Scriptural; his uncle Lorentz Aeberli (executed 3 July 1539) had testified to this doctrine with his blood. Even on the rack he refused to betray any of his brethren. Sumiswald remained an Anabaptist center into the 17th century.

Bibliography

Geiser, S. Die Taufgesinnten-Gemeinden. Karlsruhe, 1931.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. IV.

Maps

Map:Sumiswald (Bern, Switzerland)


Author(s) Samuel Geiser
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Geiser, Samuel. "Sumiswald (Bern, Switzerland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sumiswald_(Bern,_Switzerland)&oldid=85443.

APA style

Geiser, Samuel. (1959). Sumiswald (Bern, Switzerland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sumiswald_(Bern,_Switzerland)&oldid=85443.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 654. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.