From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:51, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Stumptown Mennonite Church, located near Monterey, 8 miles northeast of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Upper Leacock Township, a member of the Lancaster Conference, was an outgrowth of the enlarging Mellinger congregation to the northeast. The members used a schoolhouse on the present meetinghouse site until 1846, when a worship center was built. This was enlarged in 1882 and replaced in 1916 by a 48 x 80 ft. brick structure. It was here during the summer of 1868 that John B. Landis and John Stauffer and their wives conducted a small Sunday school before the movement had conference approval. It was a part of the Mellinger-Stumptown circuit until a recent decade. Elmer G. Martin is bishop, Lloyd M. Eby and John G. Oberholtzer ministers. This was the home congregation of Preacher Sanford B. Landis (1868-1926). The membership in 1957 was 310.


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Stumptown Mennonite Church (Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 14 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stumptown_Mennonite_Church_(Bird-in-Hand,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=96626.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1959). Stumptown Mennonite Church (Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 14 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stumptown_Mennonite_Church_(Bird-in-Hand,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=96626.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 648-649. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.