Stobna used to be a Slavic and Prussian village. It appears in historical documents for the first time in 1293 (Stupa) and received a charter in 1353. Until 1772 Stuba was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Stuba was located. Stuba was situated in the district (Kreis) of Elbing until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. Today Stuba (now Stobna) is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Dwór Gdański, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
Mennonites did not settle in Stuba until the late 18th century at the earliest. In 1820, Stuba had 320 residents, including 9 Mennonites. In 1935 there was only one Mennonite family, named Penner, living in Stuba.
Mennonites who were residents of Stuba were members of the Rosenort Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Stobna." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 24 November 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=448&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Stobna." Web. 24 November 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stobna.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 24 November 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=6383.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||November 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Stuba (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2012. Web. 29 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stuba_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96617.
Thiessen, Richard D. (November 2012). Stuba (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stuba_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96617.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.