From GAMEO
Revision as of 17:54, 10 August 2014 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search
Detailed map of Stobbendorf.
Source: Archiwum Map Zachodniej Polski
http://amzpbig.com/maps/1781_Jungfer_1936.jpg
.
Stobbendorf (now Stobiec, Poland)
Source: Wikipedia Commons

Stobbendorf (now Stobiec; coordinates: 54.2639, 19.1658 [54° 15′ 50″ N, 19° 9′ 56″ E]; population in 1905, 594; in 2012, 184) is located approximately 6 kilometres (4 miles) north-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 18 km (11 mi.) north-west of Elbląg (Elbing), 27 km (17 mi.) north-east of Malbork (Marienburg), and 37 km (23 mi.) east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).

Stobbendorf is located in the area of a former Nowy Dwór estate. It was leased to Dutch colonists in 1594 (or 1629). Stobbendorf originally had 15 włókas and 24 morgas (284 hectares) of land, but this area was reduced to 12 włókas and 1 morga (216 ha.) as a result of a flood.  Until 1772 Stobbendorf  was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Stobbendorf  was located. Stobbendorf  was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. Today Stobbendorf (now Stobiec) is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Stegna, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.

The 1776 census of Prussia lists 14 Mennonite families in Stobbendorf with the following surnames: Ens, Friessen, Goosen, Krahn, Lemcke, Nickel, Peters, Quapp, Quiring, Siemons, Steinfeder, and Wieb. In 1789, the village had 58 Mennonites and in 1820, Stobbendorf/Haffkrug had 452 residents, including 84 Mennonites. There were 18 Mennonites in the 1930s.

Mennonites who were residents of Stobbendorf were members of the Tiegenhagen Mennonite Church.

Bibliography

Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Stobiec." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 5 December 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=447&lang=en.

Wikipedia. "Stobiec, Pomeranian Voivodeship." Web. 5 December 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stobiec,_Pomeranian_Voivodeship.

Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 5 December 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=6324.

Maps

Map:Stobiec, Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland


Author(s) Richard D Thiessen
Date Published December 2012


Cite This Article

MLA style

Thiessen, Richard D. "Stobbendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 21 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stobbendorf_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=123951.

APA style

Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Stobbendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stobbendorf_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=123951.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.