The Stirling Mennonite congregation at Raymond, Alberta began services in 1946, and formally organized in 1947. John J. Hofer and John Hofer are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation was begun by a group which left a nearby Hutterite settlement. Initially they were associated with the Alberta-Saskatchewan Conference of the Mennonite Church, to whom they appealed for assistance in starting a congregation. Eleven members were received as members of the Mennonite Church on 10 November 1946. Stirling was formerly part of the Upper Fraser Mennonite Fellowship.
Bishop Edwin J. Bontrager served in 2001 as a non-salaried congregational leader.
Mennonite Reporter (22 August 1994): 17.
Stauffer, Ezra. History of the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference. 1960: 34.
Address: Box 1027, Raymond, AB T0K 2S0
Location: 8 km east of Raymond on Hwy. 52, 5 km west of Hwy 4 on Hwy 52
Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference (1946-1964)
Western Conservative Mennonite Fellowship (1964-present)
Stirling Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||July 1986|
Cite This Article
Stauffer, Ezra and Marlene Epp. "Stirling Mennonite Church (Raymond, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 1986. Web. 28 Jun 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stirling_Mennonite_Church_(Raymond,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=113986.
Stauffer, Ezra and Marlene Epp. (July 1986). Stirling Mennonite Church (Raymond, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 June 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stirling_Mennonite_Church_(Raymond,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=113986.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.