From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:00, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Stevensville Mennonite congregation at Stevensville, ON began services in 1880, and formally organized in 1887. The first building was occupied in 1887. Jacob Krehbiel is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through division from the Bertie (Sherkston) Mennonite Conference of Ontario group over doctrine and support for revivalism. Stevensville replaced the Log Church or Black Creek Church also begun by Krehbiel.

The congregation dissolved about 1917. It had been affiliated with the General Conference Mennonite Church since 1887. The language of worship was English and German.

Bibliography

Good, E. Reginald. "Stevensville: the First General Conference Mennonite Congregation in Canada, 1887-1917." Mennonite Historian (December 1986): 1-2.


Author(s) Joseph C. Fretz
Marlene Epp
Date Published April 1986


Cite This Article

MLA style

Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. "Stevensville Mennonite Church (Stevensville, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 1986. Web. 13 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stevensville_Mennonite_Church_(Stevensville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=77922.

APA style

Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. (April 1986). Stevensville Mennonite Church (Stevensville, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stevensville_Mennonite_Church_(Stevensville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=77922.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.