From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:34, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Sterling Evangelical Mennonite Church, Sterling, Kansas, had its origin in 1880, when mem­bers of the Defenseless Mennonite congregations of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois moved into Kansas. They began meetings in the homes, and in about 1883 organized a church with Jacob Schmucker and John Doetsch as ministers. In 1885 a church was built 11 miles southwest of Sterling, which was used until 1912, when the present church was built. In 1933 the church celebrated Jacob Schmucker's fifty years as pastor of the church. In 1948 the name was changed from Defenseless Mennonite to Evangelical Mennonite Church. The membership in 1955 was 152, with Arthur Enns as pastor.


Author(s) Albert Schweizer
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Schweizer, Albert. "Sterling Evangelical Mennonite Church (Sterling, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 27 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sterling_Evangelical_Mennonite_Church_(Sterling,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=85334.

APA style

Schweizer, Albert. (1959). Sterling Evangelical Mennonite Church (Sterling, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Sterling_Evangelical_Mennonite_Church_(Sterling,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=85334.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 629. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.