Steegnerwerder was established in 1650 by Dutch settlers. Until 1793 Steegnerwerder was part of Danzig in Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The Second Partition of Poland in 1793 added Danzig and its surrounding territory to the province of West Prussia. Steegnerwerder was situated in the district (Kreis) of Danzig from 1818 until 1887, when it became part of the district of Danziger Niederung. The village became part of the Free City of Danzig from 1920 until the outbreak of World War II in 1939, when it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. Today it is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Stegna, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1793 census does not list any Mennonites in the village of Steegnerwerder. In 1820, the village had 172 residents, including 9 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Steegnerwerder were members of the Tiegenhagen Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Stegienka." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 5 December 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=445&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Stegienka." Web. 5 December 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegienka.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 5 December 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=6270.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||December 2012|
 Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Steegnerwerder (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 9 Dec 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Steegnerwerder_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96563.
Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Steegnerwerder (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 9 December 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Steegnerwerder_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=96563.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.