Staveren, a small town in the Dutch province of Friesland (coordinates: 52.88295, 5.36071 [52° 52′ 58″ N, 5° 21′ 38″ E]; population 1,166 in 1947, with 112 Mennonites), has been the seat of a Mennonite congregation since early times. Elder Leenaert Bouwens baptized 20 persons here in 1551-54, about 9 in 1557-61, and 32 in 1563-65. These numbers indicate that there has been a congregation here since the middle of the 16th century, about whose history, however, there is only very scarce information. In the 17th century it belonged to the Waterlander branch. In 1612 the strict practices of its elder Rijk Jacobs, who wanted to have all transfers from the Reformed Church rebaptized even if they had been baptized as adults, caused a serious conflict in the congregation. It seems to have led to a division of the congregation, one wing calling itself Frisian (that is, more conservative) and the other High German (more liberal). When this schism was healed is not known, but it must have taken place before 1647, in which year the congregation was represented at the large Waterlander delegates' conference at Amsterdam. Some old record books (baptisms, death of members, resolutions) go back as far as 1643.
In the 16th-18th centuries the congregation was always served by lay ministers chosen from the membership. The last of these was Abraham van der Werff serving 1764-1807. Because his talents were very mediocre, and also because he was too conservative for most of the members, a resolution was passed in 1765 to call a second (lay) minister from outside. This was Cornelis de Jongh, a physician, who served at Staveren 1765-84. He was followed by Pieter Klomp 1784-98, J. W. van Douwen 1798-1812, and J. van der Boogh Bleeker 1815-20. In circa 1822-64 the congregation was served by the pastors of the neighboring church of Warns. In 1866 it obtained a pastor of its own, from 1873 at the same time serving at Molkwerum, C. Leendertz serving 1866-73, G. Vrijer 1873-75, J. A. Oosterbaan 1876-78, P. K. Bijl 1879-81, A. A. Deenik Mz 1881-99, G. Wuite 1899-1901, H. Hooghiemster 1902-8, J. M. Erkelens 1908-13, J. G. Frerichs 1914-21, H. J. Busé 1922-27, Miss A. J. van den Ban 1927-32, and Miss M. de Boer 1932-39. Miss S. E. Treffers, serving at Staveren 1941-46, also had charge of the Hindeloopen congregation from 1942, as did also L. Laurense, pastor of Staveren 1949-53. In 1953-57 the congregation was served by the pastor of Warns, In 1958 the congregations of Staveren, Hindeloopen, and IJlst decided to call one minister for the three congregations, and called J. Wieringa, who lives at IJlst.
Concerning the membership the following figures are available: in 1695 about 110 baptized members, in 1764 100, in 1838 25, in 1861 49, in 1900 89, and in 1958 50. The present meetinghouse dates from 1858; an organ was acquired in 1901. The congregation possesses three silver communion cups obtained in 1745. There is a Mennonite ladies' circle, a Sunday school for children, and a youth group.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1874): 87; (1897): 164; (1901): 215.
Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1837): 30.
Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam, 2 vols. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: v. I, No. 545; v. II, Nos. 2252-64.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
 Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Staveren (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 29 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Staveren_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=126053.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Staveren (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Staveren_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=126053.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.