From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:50, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Stauffer Mennonite Church (MC), a member of the Lancaster Conference, is located near Bachmanville in Conewago Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Michael Shenk, Benjamin Longenecker, John Risser, and the Lehmans were in this area in the latter half of the 18th century. The first meetinghouse was built about 1780. This was a part of the Risser congregation in Lancaster County, sharing its ministry. Before the meetinghouse was built Peter Risser preached for them in private dwellings. It early became a part of the present Noah W. Risser- Clarence E. Lutz Bishop District, with John Mumma as the first resident bishop. The present church was built on the same site in 1918. A well-kept cemetery adjoins the churchyard. The membership in 1957 was 163, with J. Frank Zeager as pastor. An outpost at Sand Beach has developed into a permanent Sunday school and mission at East Hanover.


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Stauffer Mennonite Church (Conewago Township, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stauffer_Mennonite_Church_(Conewago_Township,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=96559.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1959). Stauffer Mennonite Church (Conewago Township, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stauffer_Mennonite_Church_(Conewago_Township,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=96559.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 621. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.