St. Mary's County Old Order Amish Settlement (Mechanicsville, Maryland, USA)

From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:50, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (talk | contribs) (CSV import - 20130823)

Jump to: navigation, search

The St. Mary's County (Maryland) Old Order Amish Settlement was established when Amish families began to settle in this county around Mechanicsville in January 1940. The first arrivals were Stephen and Benjamin Stoltzfus and John L. Fisher from Lancaster County and Israel Swarey from Mifflin County, Pennsylvania. John L. Fisher was the first minister. In 1953 the district divided into two districts, known as the Southwest District or District A, and the Northwest District or District B. Both were served by John B. Fisher as bishop. The total baptized membership in 1956 was 86.


Author(s) John B Fisher
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Fisher, John B. "St. Mary's County Old Order Amish Settlement (Mechanicsville, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 Sep 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=St._Mary%27s_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Mechanicsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=96531.

APA style

Fisher, John B. (1959). St. Mary's County Old Order Amish Settlement (Mechanicsville, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 September 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=St._Mary%27s_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Mechanicsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=96531.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 402. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.