Revision as of 19:33, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

St. Jacobs is a village (pop. in 1959, 725) 9 miles north of Kitchener, Waterloo County, Ontario (coordinates: 43° 32′ 22.5″ N, 80° 33′ 11″ W). In the late 1950s approximately 250 Mennonites lived in the village with another 1,000 or so near by. The Mennonite Church group had a church of 400 members in the village. Three Wisler Old Order Mennonite churches were within two miles of the village. Mennonites owned a blacksmith shop, a general store, a produce market, two woodworking shops, two garages, an implement agency, a paint shop, and a weaver shop. Practically all the inhabitants spoke the Pennsylvania-German language.


Map:St. Jacobs (Ontario, Canada)

Author(s) Roy S Koch
Date Published 1959

Cite This Article

MLA style

Koch, Roy S. "St. Jacobs (Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 Oct 2016.,_Canada)&oldid=85240.

APA style

Koch, Roy S. (1959). St. Jacobs (Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 October 2016, from,_Canada)&oldid=85240.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 402. All rights reserved.

©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.