From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

St. Jacobs is a village (pop. in 1959, 725) 9 miles north of Kitchener, Waterloo County, Ontario (coordinates: 43° 32′ 22.5″ N, 80° 33′ 11″ W). In the late 1950s approximately 250 Mennonites lived in the village with another 1,000 or so near by. The Mennonite Church group had a church of 400 members in the village. Three Wisler Old Order Mennonite churches were within two miles of the village. Mennonites owned a blacksmith shop, a general store, a produce market, two woodworking shops, two garages, an implement agency, a paint shop, and a weaver shop. Practically all the inhabitants spoke the Pennsylvania-German language.

[edit] Maps

Map:St. Jacobs (Ontario, Canada)


Author(s) Roy S Koch
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Koch, Roy S. "St. Jacobs (Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=St._Jacobs_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=85240.

APA style

Koch, Roy S. (1959). St. Jacobs (Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=St._Jacobs_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=85240.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 402. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.