Springfield Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), now extinct, 17 miles south of Hydro, Oklahoma, began in 1898 in the home of J. J. Zerger. The first baptism of thirteen young people was conducted by J. J. Flickner. Attempts to unite with the Bergthal Mennonite Church at Hydro failed. On 13 September 1899, under the leadership of Elder C. Ramseier, the church was organized. On 19 April 1900, J. J. Kaufman and J. T. Albrecht were elected ministers. Later C. P. Stucky was elected minister. The members of the church were primarily Swiss Volhynian Mennonites from Moundridge and Pretty Prairie, Kansas. In 1903 a church was built. The last entry of the church record was dated 2 February 1919, stating that Emil Riesen, who had been serving the church, was to issue church letters to the members and care for the few remaining families. It was decided to sell the church and to turn the income over to the Board of Missions. Most of the families had moved away and joined other churches.
"Geschichte von der Entstehung der Springfeld Gemeinde." Mennonite Library and Archives, Newton, Kansas.
Krehbiel, H. P. Mennonite Churches of North America. Newton, 1911: 46.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Springfield Mennonite Church (Hydro, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Springfield_Mennonite_Church_(Hydro,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=68350.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1959). Springfield Mennonite Church (Hydro, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Springfield_Mennonite_Church_(Hydro,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=68350.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.