From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Shenandoah Valley churches were divided into districts in 1837: the Northern (or Lower) District with Broadway as a center, the Central (or Middle) District with Harrisonburg as a center, and the Southern (or Upper) District with Waynesboro in Augusta County as a center. In 1942 the terms “Lower” and “Upper” were discontinued. The Mennonite churches of Augusta County have been known as the Southern District ever since. The Southern District included six congregations with a total of 522 members in the late 1950s: Springdale with 217, Hildebrand with 49 at Waynesboro, Mt. View with 61 at Lyndhurst, Ebenezer with 38 at South Boston, Stuarts Draft with 109, and Greenmonte Rural Mission Church at Greenville with 48 members. The district has traditionally had one bishop, who in 1958 was Franklin Weaver.


Author(s) Harry A Brunk
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Brunk, Harry A. "Southern District (Virginia Mennonite Conference, Mennonite Church USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Southern_District_(Virginia_Mennonite_Conference,_Mennonite_Church_USA)&oldid=96491.

APA style

Brunk, Harry A. (1959). Southern District (Virginia Mennonite Conference, Mennonite Church USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Southern_District_(Virginia_Mennonite_Conference,_Mennonite_Church_USA)&oldid=96491.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 588. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.